Monday, January 24, 2011

What Is Love? (7)

I've read a couple books lately that gave me insight on Love.
The authors pretty much captured how I feel sometimes and why I do or say the things I do.

For instance I read "Triple Shot Bettys In Love" by Jody Gehrman (Read "Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty" first)
How can I do this without spoiling it?
Uhhh Alert! Alert! If you plan on reading this book I might spoil it for you..........does that work?


Hero was advising Geena on the subject of 'Love' and the reason that Geena didn't like love was because she hates feeling out of control.
"You can't control love."
"It controls you."

Is that true?
Does Love control people?

I think it controls our feelings.
We can't change how we feel, no matter how hard we try.
At least that's my opinion.


Has anyone read "Dash and Lily's Book of Dares"?
I loved it, but then again I'm a huge Rachel Cohn and David Levithan fan.
In it one of my favorite characters, Boomer, poses the question: "But what if it's not a yes-or-no question?"
Love that is.

Then they go on to discuss meeting the right person at the wrong time, wrong person at the right time and right person at the right time.

I don't really know what I'm getting at here, but it messed with my head an awful lot.
Which is what books are supposed to do.

Dash drew a map, and I'm tempted to draw a similar map.
When I do, I'll share it when you.
He wrote "Love" on a dry erase board and wrote words...everything that comes with love, all over the board until you could no longer see the word "Love".

So I didn't really come to a conclusion in this post.
I've just confused myself even more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay i have to confess, i literally skimmed through this post because i haven't read either of these books! or i guess all three, if you count the first betty one you mentioned. but now i have new books to read! so i am thrilled. i will get back to you on my opinion of love :)

Laura Wynn said...

oo, I love books that mess with your head! Have to look them up :)
and I'm stoked you are going to try making macarons!! Love, love, love those.
happy week-to-come!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

I haven't read any of those books but I agree with you love controls are feelings not us.

Taylor said...

Love - so philosophical. And you know what? I really do love how much you think about it, how many questions you ask of it. So many people discount that word, use it inappropriately, but it deserves so much more than that.